Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Environment

I have come to the realization that your environment truly effects your wellness.  If what surrounds you is desolate, it will lend to feelings of destitution.  If you alter the picture to create a personal space of light, you will brighten that which initially began as darkness. This simple action infuses energy into any place devoid of positive aura and empowers you to reverse or reject negative vibes that threaten your success.  Changing environment can be as complex as moving to another part of the world,  seeking other employment, loosing or gaining relationships, or as simple as painting your bedroom a calming color, planting flowers outside your window, or smiling at one who frowns.

I found that this also applies to your workplace.  What does your work environment look like?  Is it conducive to your well being?  Does it allow you to be the best you can be?  There are many things in our specific  jobs we can not change:  who we work with, the times we work, the tools we need.  However, there always is something that you can do to make your environment work for you, to embrace your productivity and to foster your creativity whether you paste a flower inside of your hardhat, post a picture of your favorite oasis on your dashboard, or wear a smiley face pin on your lapel, there is always a way to remind yourself to just "be" in your moment within your environment, doing the best that you can with positive flow.

I work from home at a desk.  My "office" is painted in a warm tone which reminds me of cinnamon spice.  I love the taste and aroma of cinnamon.  It makes me"feel" warm.  I have pictures of goals and family members, a meditation stool, and full, uncovered windows which welcome open views of trees and the sky.  I created my space to be calming to allow me to be "me".  Sometimes however, we forget these things when we set about our tasks.   As like most people, when I am working,  can not always look around my room to "see".  Sometimes I need tangibility right in front of me. So, I remind myself, each day.  I used my desk to create a mini-environment within my larger one:

My desk is strategically set with subliminal messages to massage my spirit and thoughts to remind me to be calm and free as I work.  It is divided into three areas:  inspiration, relaxation, and meditation.  I believe that you can not have one without the other.  One can not meditate if one can not relax and one can not inspire if one can not become grounded through meditation.  The combination of these three elements lead to creativity.  

 The first portion of my desk is Inspiration.  It reminds me to:

always have  
time for love                                                              maintain balance

grow new ideas remember I  possess
                                                                               the resources I need

When I reach a blockage in the flow of my work, I always look to inspiration  for empowerment.  With exhalation, I am ready to forge forward to complete the tasks at hand.


The middle section of my desk is Relaxation.  

When stressed, I take out a little rake and make waves in the sand.  This zen based activity is very soothing.  This relaxation exercise is intentionally placed in direct correlation above the keyboard.  It reminds me that nothing is more important that a relaxed spirit for you will not be productive nor rational if you are not able to approach your situation with a calm demeanor.

The anchor of my desk is Meditation.

It is the grounding basis for which I can be the best I can be.  It restores positive thought, removes doubt, and increases flow for creativity.  If I have an arduous task before me, I light a candle, take a whiff of crystal  rocks that have been soaked in citrus and flower scented oils, and pick up my mala beads to either recite a cleansing prayer or recite a mantra for restoration, healing, and power.    I often meditate before I write as I wish my words to flow with truth,  clear conscious and without malice in my heart. Sometimes, I meditate after I work, in gratitude for productivity and for the gift of the skills with which I work.

When I close my door at the end of my day, I am grateful for this space.  It is a representation of the environment in which I can find solace, peace, prosperity, happiness, one in which I can give, share, extend, provide, one in which I study, learn, and grow.  

It doesn't matter where or what your environment "is", whether it is home, work, with whom you interact or otherwise. The question is - does it encourage your progression?  Does your environment encourage you to "be" the best you can be, foster your beliefs, one that can bring a smile to your face, and a warmth to your being?  If it does not do  this, then think about incorporating a few simple things to evolve your environment to that which will bring light, incorporates things you love, create positivity, enhance your wellness and affirm your success. 


Namaste.

No comments: